Monday, December 1, 2014

Beautiful Experiences as Relationships grow

Soon after we came, we were struck by the sounds at our house and the beauty of the people of Haiti.  As we go to work by walking, riding the "moto" or four-wheeler or sometimes a truck, we are greeted by a huge smile and "Bonjou!"  At the office, the Haitian staff greet us with a smile, handshake, and "Bonjou. Koman-ou ye?" (Good morning.  How are you?) We are learning to respond with a variety of phrases, but always return the greeting.  It is considered polite.



We are so thankful for the warmth shown us by all the staff with their patience and helpfulness with our hesitant, incorrect, attempts at Kreyol. (the Haitian way to spell Creole which is French).  They just smile and correct us.  Along with that, we have Kreyol lessons three mornings a week with a Haitian pastor whose English is great.  After two months, he softly responds when we say, "Oh!  I forget that word!" And finally, is our wonderful cook and housekeeper, Didine.  She is amazing in the work she does with just a few hours a day.  She may make bread, have 12:00 dinner ready, AND mop all the floors and clean the bathrooms before we come home to eat at noon.  As we sit to eat, she always joins us, prays with us, and helps us with our Kreyol. She speaks a little English, but has won us over with her Haitian dishes.

We love to walk to work or church rather than ride our "moto" (four-wheeler). I wrote on Facebook, but will repeat an experience I had recently.  It was dusk and I was walking home from the weekly (missionary) Ladies Tea.  I met an older man along the road and said the customary greeting "Bonswa (Good evening). Koumon-ou ye?" He responded, talking so fast I didn't understand except I knew a lot of what he was saying was in French.  I said that I didn't understand, that I spoke on a little Kreyol.  His response was so beautiful.  He raised his hands to heaven, looked up and said "Papa Seye pou ou ak pou mwen." God, our Lord is for you and for me.  Then, I said good night and God bless you (in Kreyol). He responded the same and went on his way pushing a wheelbarrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment